Monday, October 14, 2013

Positoovity

     I use this word a lot. Probably annoyingly so. But hey, I've seen it work miracles.

     Okay, so I'm just quoting the song now. If you want to listen to the song while you read, here's the mp3 file. (It's also on my new "Music" page. That's up there. ^^^)



   

     I'll admit, I'm all for the cheesiest Broadway music you can find. And I just have to say, a seagull singing about being "positoovitive" is pretty wonderful. The Little Mermaid is a great show. So if you're listening to this you're probably thinking..."Nic, this is the weirdest thing I've ever heard." Well, sucks to sucks. This is genius. It's incredibly catchy, isn't it? Now I'm just rambling so you actually listen to the whole thing....

     Okay, now for my story. I heard this song for the first time about a week ago, when I got The Little Mermaid Broadway Cast Recording. Things weren't at their highest point. I was in a crisis of sorts. See, I have this thing where even when I'm with people, I can feel lonely. It doesn't make much sense really. I just kind of floated through social settings, went home, then felt all bad about life. It was just a coping mechanism. Let me just say, *DON'T DO THAT*. Seriously, it doesn't help at all. It makes things worse. And I know for a fact that I'm not the only one that does this.

     So when you're in a setting of people that you really like (for me, it was Institute choir) but you just don't feel like you're connecting with anyone, don't just sit there and mope about it! That's why I've done pretty much my entire life. It most definitely isn't worth it. I've found that when I put myself out there and just say a few things, break my comfort zone or simply stand in a different place, it changes the mood completely. Want to know how I found that out? Oh, this is fun...

     I heard "Positoovity". No joke. A song sung by a seagull in a Disney musical changed my mindset. (And truly, that's all it is. A mindset.) I loved the song and it had been stuck in my head all day. Then I was in a social setting where I didn't feel happy! So guess what I finally realized.
"Nic, you idiot. You've had the answer stuck in your head all day. And you are way too stubborn to even realize what it is! You've got positoovity!"
     Yes, that's how I talk to myself. So you know what I did? I sang the song to myself. (Wow, this is so incredibly cheesy...) I just smiled at the fact that I was actually doing this. I don't know if it was the message of the song or simply the fact that I was singing a Broadway song in my head, but it really did work a miracle. Immediately, I felt included. I got into the conversation. I realized, that before, I was pushing myself out of the circle of friends. And that's how I got past that idiotic phase.

     I knew Broadway could actually change me for the better. (Wicked? Anyone? No? okay...)

     Well, there you go. At least now you know why I use the word "positoovity". That doesn't mean it won't annoy you any less. But really, it's a great word. (Better than "poosatricity"...just saying.) Or maybe you'll even use it now! Even on accident. I wouldn't be surprised. It happens to me all the time. That's why I use words like "positoovity", "swankified", "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" in my everyday language. Sorry, Broadway gets to me.

     I hope you can find a song that helps you. I love music, obviously, so I know it can make a huge difference. Find a song that helps you have a little extra gumption. (You can even comment with your song! I love new music.)

     Have a beautiful day. And keep singing to yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment