Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Ain't No Business Like Show Business!

     So, you've figured out by now that Broadway is a passion of mine. I love the singing, the dancing, the acting, the lights, the special effects, the entire atmosphere of the Broadway world. And it probably won't surprise you, but one of my biggest dreams is to one day be up on that stage. To some day play a part in creating the shows, performing, writing. I just want to be in it all.

     As you noticed from my "My Musical Music" post, I have a lot of Broadway music. (I recently also acquired West Side Story and Nice Work if You Can Get It.) From all of this music, I have learned so much. I think I'm on my way to truly finding out the perfect recipe for a successful Broadway production. This helps me in the 3 ways in which I wish to participate in Broadway Musicals. Those being as: An audience member, a writer and an actor.

     Give my favorite Broadway song a listen while you read. "Seize the Day" - Newsies



     Let's start with being an audience member. I've never actually seen a show on Broadway. Let alone, been to New York. Either way, I know I will someday. But I still have had the opportunity to see some touring shows. In 2011, I hopped on the bandwagon and saw my very first show. Wicked. It was truly phenomenal. From the opening scene, I was immediately enthralled. I had to resist the urge to sing along with everything. From Glinda floating down in her bubble to Elphaba rising above the stage as she belts the last line of "Defying Gravity", I was completely taken by the show. Then there was the second act. Holy crap, they could have made it a little bit more emotional. Jeez. I was wiping away tears like crazy. I knew "For Good" was coming. That's what scared me. But see, I didn't quite fully understand the placement of the song until then. So as they stand on stage and sing, I'm sitting in my chair trying not to look like a nutcase. As Glinda waited behind the curtain and quietly called out, "Elphie?"...I just lost it. But once the show ended with those three chords of "Wiiickeeed" that I never wanted to hear, I was just overcome by all sorts of emotions. I did it! I had just seen my first show! It was truly the most swankified show in town, and I got to see it! Yeah, I saw it from the last row in the bottom section and in the farthest left seat with a speaker directly behind me so whenever the Wizard spoke my eardrums rattled, but I saw it!!! My obsession had begun.

     The only other professionally done show that I've seen is Young Frankenstein. If you don't think that Mel Brooks is a comedy and musical genius, then you better hide. I will find you. And force you to watch The Producers and Robin Hood: Men in Tights. Then you'll see who's laughing. (I really hope you're the one laughing...because the movies are funny. Ya know? Okay.) Young Frankenstein the Musical was right up there with Wicked, if not even better. It was absolutely perfect. I remember not being able to breath during the "Roll in the Hay" scene because I was laughing so hard. I remember being in total amazement as I saw a tap dancing monster and silhouette. I remember Frau Blucher stepping out...and nobody applauded as we were supposed to. And her saying, "You're too kind" in the MOST sarcastic tone I'd ever heard and laughing and cheering for an entire minute before she could even go on with introducing "Puttin' On the Ritz". It was a completely different feel from Wicked, but honestly, I think I may have enjoyed it even more.

     Someday, I'll see more than just a touring show in Boise, Idaho. (Oh, I am seeing the Addams Family here in December! Yay!) I dream of seeing the boys in Newsies dancing on the streets of NYC, trying to sell their papes. Or the nuns of Sister Act shaking their booties to a brand new beat. Maybe I'll even see acrobats of Pippin spin and fly across the stage. Either way, I hope to experience the real Broadway someday. A man can dream.

     *Just for the record* I have seen two shows outside of Boise, both of which were not my favorites and I choose to forget. I saw Cats in Seattle, which is right up there with Oklahoma for one of the worst shows ever. And then I saw Beauty and the Beast in Vegas, which I hate to say was not that great. It was so overdone. It definitely had its moments though. "Gaston", "Be Our Guest" and the transformation were all pretty cool. But sadly, it really wasn't a good show. I love the musical, but that cast? No.

     The second way I'd love to be involved with the show business, is writing. This is probably my longest shot. I've written a musical. Yeah, a full musical. The book, the lyrics, the music...but I just have to say, it is horrible. Really, you'd probably end up in a pool of your own blood from even trying to sit through the whole thing. And as graphic as that is, I'm probably just really hard on myself. So since then, I've been trying to write another one. I've started (and given up on) three musicals. They all have potential at first, but I kinda just realize it's pointless. Hopefully someday I can finish one and maybe have a community theater perform it! Oh gosh, even that would be just amazing.

     Writing for Broadway would be a living hell. But it's a hell I wouldn't mind. Honestly, I have so much music in my head, and I just want to share it.

     Okay, time for the last part. Acting. I've been a part of three different musicals. Each with its ups and downs. Two of the shows were at Boise High School. My sophomore year, I played Benny Southstreet in our production of the wonderful classic, Guys and Dolls. It was a lot of fun. I mean, an insanely low budget show, with a horrible set and terrible dancing...but it was my first show, and I loved it. (Of course, when I got one of the biggest applauses, that was always nice.) Then my senior year, I had the opportunity to learn an Irish accent and become the one and only Og the Leprechaun in Finian's Rainbow. (Double cast with Benjamin Olson. What a great guy.) This show was a lot more fun because I had a much larger part, but we had many more run-ins with big problems. All over the place. It was so incredibly stressful. But hey, once again, I really did enjoy it. It helped that Susannah was there. She's my Broadway Buddy now. It's pretty awesome. We were in another show together, as well. Boise Music Week's production of South Pacific. I was a no-name sailor that just got to dance around and do whatever. It was lovely. But hey, I got to perform on the same stage where I saw Wicked and Young Frankenstein. That's pretty awesome. I hope to do another show sometime soon.

     So aside from those three roles, I definitely have some dream roles. Christopher Fitzgerald has a way of playing all of my favorite parts. It almost makes you think he's amazing or something. Igor in Young Frankenstein, Og in the 2009 revival of Finian's Rainbow and Boq in Wicked. Yeah, he's pretty good. Some other dream roles of mine are Jack in Newsies, LeFou in Beauty and the Beast, Scuttle in The Little Mermaid, Finch in How to Succeed in Business...the list goes on. If you noticed, most of those roles are really just the crazy character. I tend to be really good at being the weird guy. But hey, I enjoy it. Maybe someday, I'll audition for a role in a new show and be all famous and happy and whatnot! I don't know. I'm definitely not leaving this dream in the dust.

     I hope you enjoyed my rant about my dreams of Broadway. It's a truly magical place. (eh, kinda) I'll post later today. It's my day off, so I'll have lots of time to think of something good. Anyway, enjoy (and seize) your day!
   

1 comment:

  1. Nic, if you ever want/need someone to brainstorm with or bounce ideas off of, hit me up. Seriously, brainstorming stories is pretty much all I do with my time. :P

    ReplyDelete