Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Pretzels, Popcorn and Lots and Lots of Butter. (That's a Lot of Butter)

     One of the very first things I did once I found out I wouldn't be shipping off to serve the great people of the Philippines for two years, was job hunting. And for anyone looking for a job right now, I am so very sorry. (The Village in Meridian has a ton of openings, though.) Job hunting sucks. For me, it pretty much just consisted of me on Craigslist all day, printing job applications, filling out countless applications, turning in said applications, being rejected from all those employers...yeah, it isn't fun.

     After 2 weeks of this, and an excess amount of fast food, I finally landed my dream job! I was hired at the one...the only...(well, there are 2...)...Wetzel's Pretzels! Yup, I worked at the lovely baked pretzel place in the mall.

     When I started, they just threw me right into the system. I signed in on the cashier as "Nick". And if you know me, you know how much that bothers me. (Hence the name of my blog. Duh.) Anyway, Joe, the shift manager, showed me around and got me started. I buttered pretzels, worked the cashier, buttered pretzels, made drinks, buttered pretzels...Get the picture? All in all, it was just a lot of butter. I wasn't a fan of that. After 2 weeks, I started baking the pretzels. I was horrible at it. But hey, I can do the fancy pretzel twist thing. So pretty much, I just didn't like the job at all. After 3 weeks, that's when I found out about my boss. My freaking boss.

     My boss was Sherri Biethman. Before you read on, check out this link.

     http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5461702/

     Yep, that's her. On Survivor. I really don't have much to say about her. I'm not one to bad mouth...just search her on Youtube or something.

     Anyway, I wasn't liking the job. The scheduling sucked. (4 hours of working in a week? What? Okay, thanks...). I didn't like the people too much. And I'm not exactly a fan of going home with butter all over me. Of course, the free pretzels were nice.

     So I quit. I kept job hunting and had found another job at the Village Cinema 15 in Meridian. It hasn't open yet, but holy crap it is so freaking nice. The Grand Opening is on Friday! I'm super excited! So if you're not doing anything on Friday night, come out to the movies! You will absolutely love it! Here's another link (yay, 2 links) to my theater's website.

     http://www.cinemawest.com/mer.html

     And let me tell you, it looks exactly like that concept art. It's beautiful.

     I start work today and I'm so excited! Luckily, I won't be working concessions too much. Mostly, I'll be a barista and an usher! So come see me sometime. That would be awesome.

     Also, I can say that I already love the people I work with. During job training, I've made a lot of really cool friends. So hopefully, this job goes a whole lot better. I mean, free movies and popcorn? Could it be any better? (And yes, my friends get free movies too, so go ahead and be my best friend now. I'm totally okay with that.) I'm going to make lunch and then take my sister to work. (Her car broke down and whatever.) So I'm off! Have a great one!

3 comments:

  1. Movie theater buddies! That's so cool! My (now ex) coworker at The Flicks is going to be a manager there! Y'all can gossip about me to each other. It'll be great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the cool job! The place looks awesome. Wish I were in town for college, so I could come check out the theater.
    Oh well. Christmas break exists for a reason, I suppose. ~ Bri

    ReplyDelete