Sunday, October 20, 2013

Masking Ourselves

     Nobody is really themselves anymore. I don't think I know a single person that is absolutely immune to the pressures of other people around them. We all put on certain masks. Of course, not all of these are bad, and they aren't all good. They come in all shapes, sizes and types. Let me explain some.

     Masks of Detached Emotions:
It's become incredibly common for people to show no emotion. For some reason, we think it's a bad thing for others to see how we feel. Maybe you lost someone really important and you just want to cry. My advice? CRY! Seriously, it's totally okay. Even for you guys, crying is not a sign of weakness, it's a sign of acceptance. It means you've understood the situation and you need some sort of release. Way to be.
Also, If you want to be very excited about something, that's okay! Perhaps you got to meet someone who you look up to. Maybe not everyone else does, but that means something to YOU.  So be happy. Smile, be giddy, just feel how you want to. Don't hold back.
Masks of Detached Emotions suck for one main reason; you aren't being who you WANT to be. So that's dumb. Be and feel the way you want to.
   
     Masks of False Morals:
The world's morals really suck. Promiscuity is a pretty terrible (and common) thing. Religion aside, I honestly think people should wait to have sexual relations. It really is a very special moment that you should only share with one person. So this goes along with the fact that almost nobody keeps those high morals.
Generally, I'd say it's more common for girls to fall behind this mask. And I really hate saying that, but it's true. And it breaks my heart to see it happen. We give up our morals because somebody coaxes us into thinking they truly love us. Or maybe it's a low point in your life. Either way, it can happen. You may give up your standards and put on this mask of False Morals. And right then, you've fallen into a trap. It's a terrible trap that so many people are stuck in. Once you're in, you're afraid to get out. You find a strange comfort in the confinement you have.  
I just truly hope that anyone with this mask can have the courage to take it off. You. Have. Standards. Don't give them up for a moment of clouded bliss. Keep them to enjoy eternal happiness. And I'm going to give you this...
I am ALWAYS here to talk to anyone who needs help. I'm very understanding and do not judge. I just want all of my friends and those I love to be happy. If you're stuck with this mask, I KNOW it is so hard to reach out. But I'm here for you. And I know for a fact that so many other people are as well. Please don't torture yourself. You are so much better than that. And I have faith in YOU. Yes, if that's you, I don't care who you are...you can do it. Anyone can. I believe in YOU. 

     Masks of Hidden Talents:
I will admit straight up, I struggle keeping this mask off all the time. I love writing music. And many times I've written pieces that have touched somebody. They'll come up to me and say how much it meant to them. And all I'll do, is shut myself out. I won't take the compliment. I'll be bashful and throw it off as if it's nothing. 
Guys, please don't do that. I know that every single person has a special talent of some kind. Some are more noticeable than others, but that doesn't mean it's any more special. 
Maybe you simply don't want to be recognized. That is totally okay, but never talk yourself down. You are simply...amazing. Want to know how I know that? Because if you're reading this, I probably know you personally. And everyone I know has made an impact on me. A handprint on my heart, if you will. Don't forget that. You are incredible. Go and share your talents with the world! Paint, sing, draw, cook, bake, dance, write, smile, look pretty, be awesome, run really fast, memorize poems, act. Whatever you do, JUST DO IT. *Did you know?* My name, Nic, is the Greek spelling? Want to know what it translates into? "Nike". That's right. So I can say...JUST DO IT! Victory! 

     Masks of Courage:
Now, don't think that I'm going against what I said about detached emotions. This is different. 
Sometimes, we have to do something that is just plain scary. Maybe somebody is looking up to us. We all have others that take their own courage from ours. And you know what you have to do sometimes? Fake it. That's right, you have to pretend you're invincible.
If we can show that we have a strong faith in ourselves, it can stay. This is a great mask to take advantage of. By faking that self-confidence, you can know how to gain real confidence! It's actually pretty incredible. 
Just remember to use this wisely, though. Sometimes, it's okay to be afraid. We don't want to mix this up with detached emotions. Put on that happy face, but if it's a time when maybe courage isn't what you need. Or maybe you're desperate for help. Don't use this mask. It is TOTALLY okay to ask for comfort. 

     Okay, those are the ones I have right now. I'll add more later. Sorry this took so long, I've been busy with work and I wanted to make sure this was perfect for all of you.

     If you ever need to get ahold of me for ANY reason, my number is (208)284-2454. Call, text...anything. I'm always here to help.

     Thank you so much for reading, it really means a lot to me that people actually read what I have to type. In fact, so many people have reached out to me, and I couldn't be more thankful for those people in my life. I love all of you so much.

     I realize my blog is incredibly bipolar. I'm sorry.

     Thank you for reading. Have a great Sunday, and remember to think about this masks as you go about your week.

     *P.S.* We've hit 1000 pageviews! Thanks! You guys are the best!


1 comment:

  1. Literally right before this I was going through the hardest time, and I read this. Makes me feel so much better. Thanks Nic!

    ReplyDelete